It is with great pleasure that I write today to let you know of some positive news our Club has received in relation to our Woolooware Bay Development, news which will ensure our long-term success into the future for both our Football Club and Licenced Club.
This week, the Independent Planning Commission approved modifications to the original 2012 Woolooware Bay concept plan, and specific to my email today, the retail town centre Bay Central, to be constructed on the eastern side of the Club.
The modifications to the master plan include:
- A 75-key hotel;
- Approximately 248 apartments in a mix of one, two and three-bedroom configurations (5 per cent of which is allocated to key worker/ affordable housing and 5 per cent allocated to first home buyers only – requiring 5 per cent deposit);
- Additional car parking including the introduction of a car-share scheme and additional bike storage; and
- A $1.4M contribution to the upgrade of cycleways linking the site throughout Woolooware and to Cronulla.
Our local area is under resourced in short-stay and tourist accommodation, so the addition of the hotel means we can attract more conferencing and events, and increase opportunities for the business community.
The decision also means more opportunities for jobs, increased capability to gain entry to the property market, and for residents in the local area to enjoy a true community experience.
These modifications also come with many additional benefits:
- The hotel will allow more people to experience game day which will be a boost for local businesses due to more people being in town;
- 30 per cent of all apartments will be adaptable to accommodate older generations in our community;
- Adding units and a hotel to this development will bring an extra level of vibrancy to the retail centre and Club. There will also be better security and surveillance of the retail centre, Club, the foreshore parklands and streetscape outside of regular business hours, resulting in a safer environment for all;
- the development will unlock the beautiful foreshore area which is current underutilised and will encourage our local community to spend more of their time outside.
Our Club is of course thrilled with the approval as it signals the final piece of the puzzle for an exciting new town centre in this part of the Shire and in the Cronulla Sharks precinct.
People in our community have embraced the idea of Woolooware Bay and the development will support our Club in being successful on and off the field long into the future.
If you require any further information on the development either visit http://capitalbluestone.com.au/portfolio/woolooware-bay/ or give the development office a call on 9523 1622.
Cronulla Sharks Chairman